Saturday, May 8, 2010

Gandhi

Mahatma Gandhi once said that the happiest man is the one who never left the village.

As I sit here alone in the airport - about to "leave my village", I am slightly saddened, partially afraid, and certainly reflective. I wonder to myself if I am that man leaving my village - embarking on not only travel but also destined to be in an unhappy space.

I respect the wisdom of Mr. Gandhi, but as often I do, I have found a very bright side to these words I am told he muttered.

It is hard to find a "bright side" with the many recent trials in my life. Friendships have been tried of late, family is ill and time and resources seem more limited than ever before in my life. Recent choices have been those sorts where there is no clear "right and wrong". Every option leaves me with something I don't truly want and someone getting less than ALL I can give. I'm still not sure what I am to learn from this. Note to God: I'm patiently awaiting to hear the "moral" of this story.

I am sitting here - teetering on my airport stool, phone plugged into an airport socket, carry on bag now stuffed with the extra five pounds of luggage they would not allow me to check in, and inspected shoes not quite tied correctly.

I wonder to myself if I am prepared to "leave the village". Actually, I don't really wonder about leaving this village - because I see it everywhere.

The Village - is the woman next to me that just allowed a stranger - an elderly man, kind and loud talking. A wary man, white hair, sweater and plaid dress shirt kind of man. A man with an "old school" blue collar Baltimore accent. He announced to the women at check in that Baltimore brogue that he was fearful he would sleep through the call for his flight. He has since had 3 or 4 conversations very loud (but not bothersome) conversations with her. This woman (I gather from the loud talking and hard of hearing older man) is a 40 something tech VP leaving Columbus where she visits her own parents regularly.

This brief encounter serves as a reminder to me that we can ALL "find our village" or "leave our village". I am reminded today, that my village is not one with a border, state line, legislation allowing for browns, blacks, reds, and whites to be harrased if they look or sound funny. I am reminded that in "my village" resides many people - brown and black, old and young - brave compassionate people. I share a village with Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, John Brown, and so many other "unknown" people like the woman next to me. Knowing this, I can travel the ENTIRE WORLD and never leave my village. At least, that is what I have taken from the words I have read.

Perhaps, the village Gandhi spoke of is a village of people wanting to REALLY improve the world and it's conditions for those on it. I feel I am traveling WITH a village, not away from one. This village is without borders, without state lines, a village with compassion and support for humanity. I can only leave this "village" when I no longer have compassion and humanity. Those who leave THIS VILLAGE are those that Gandhi spoke of as "men without happiness".

I'm just sayin' lol.......

Posted by Malik Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment