Monday, April 19, 2010

Maimonides Levels of Giving

I would like to thank everyone who has helped me in my efforts to study interfaith conversations in the Middle East this year (God willing). I have always been a supporter of worthy causes and I can't thank those of you who see this trip as a worthy venture. Your giving is greatly appreciated.

I often comment on the Judeo-Islamic connections I find in my studies - often embarassed by what we miss in modern day society. One "common thread" I have recently learned of is the close language connection in the Arabic and Hebrew word for "charity" (Sadika). A famous Jewish philosopher named Maimonides once taught that there are 8 levels of giving. These levels are:

Level 8 RESPONSIBILITY
At the top of the ladder is the gift of self-reliance. To hand someone a gift or a loan, or to enter into a partnership with him, or to find work for him, so that he will never have to beg again.

Level 7 ANONYMITY
To give to someone you don't know, and to do so anonymously.

Level 6 CORRUPTION
To give to someone you know, but who doesn't know from whom he is receiving help.

Level 5 BOUNDARIES
To give to someone you don't know, but allow your name to be known.

Level 4 SHAME
To hand money to the poor before being asked, but risk making the recipient feel shame.

Level 3 SOLICITATION
To hand money to the poor after being asked.

Level 2 PROPORTION
To give less to the poor than is proper, but to do so cheerfully.

Level 1 RELUCTANCE To give begrudgingly.

A wise philosopher, but a simple concept. I sincerely THANK all who have supported my efforts to learn a skill I plan to share with my community. I selfishly pray that G_d provides me the opportunity to give at each of the levels Maimonides speaks of in his teachings - even the lowest levels.


Posted by Malik Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment